MISSION STATEMENT WILL GO HERE
The Chicago Bulldog Club might be the oldest bulldog club in the United States.The Bulldog Club of Philadelphia covets that distinction, however, claiming to have been founded in 1907 and officially recognized as a member of the American Kennel Club in 1912.
The Chicago specialty club claims it was organized in 1906, but it did not become a member of the AKC until May 12, 1936, a date published in The Bulldogger magazine in 1972.
Mrs. A.R. (Edna) Glass of suburban Northbrook, Ill., a prominent Chicago-area breeder and exhibitor for many years, was listed as first vice president and AKC Resident Agent in 1972, Mrs. Marie Andree of suburban Hinsdale, Ill., served as club secretary.
Other officers in 1972 were: Philip Stonehouse, president and AKC delegate; Herb Grueber, third vice president; and George Fieck, treasurer. The Board of Directors included: Arthur Block, William Gruetter, Harold Kyler, James F. McManus Jr., and Donald Price.
The club was organized to further the breeding and showing of bulldogs and to promote interest in the breed throughout the Midwest. It is the only bulldog club in the state of Illinois. The club’s logo still includes Organized 1906.
The Chicago Bulldog Club, Inc., has held an annual show every year since it was organized, except when the Bulldog Club of America held its annual specialty show in 1933 at the Chicago World’s Fair. The BCA’s National show was hosted by the Chicago Bulldog Club.
For many years the club’s annual specialty show was held in late March or early April. The specialty was often held in conjunction with the all-breed Associated Specialty Clubs of Chicago.
For a time, two Chicago specialties were hosted annually during the 1960s and 1970s. A second fall show was also held on the evening prior to the International Kennel Club of Chicago’s all-breed show in November.
For the last several years, the club has hosted only one independent annual specialty early in November.
The Chicago Bulldog Club hosted its first modern-era National Specialty Show at nearby Merrillville, Ind., located southeast of Chicago, on November 1, 1985. There was an entry of 332 dogs and bitches.
The intersex class was judged by Carolyn Ragan. She selected a rare repeat National winner from a class of 47 champions – Ch. Cherokee Yancey, the same 1984 National Best of Breed winner (judged by Mr. Beyrl Gould of Indiana). Ch. Cherokee Yancey was handled, owned and bred by Cody and June Sickle.
Sources include BCA Division II News in the 1972 Bulldogger magazine and the BCA National Gallery of Winners.
Written by G. William Andree, former member of Chicago Bulldog Club.